Whole Wheat Biscuits
Making these whole-wheat biscuits from scratch with your kids is a great lesson in baking.
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (105-115 F)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 cups Kellogg's® Rice Krispies® cereal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. In small mixing bowl, combine yeast and water. Let stand 5 minutes.
2. In large mixing bowl, combine flours, KELLOGG'S RICE KRISPIES cereal, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt. Set aside.
3. Add buttermilk and oil to yeast mixture. Stir until thoroughly combined. Add to cereal mixture, stirring only until combined. Turn dough out onto floured surface. Knead 10 times. Pat dough to 1-inch thickness. Using 2 1/2-inch cutter,cut dough into biscuits and place 1/2 inch apart on baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cover with waxed paper and let rise in warm place about 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
4. Bake at 425° F about 12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot.
Yield: 18 biscuits