Tangy Sausage Burgers
The perfect topping for burgers is not always ketchup. Here, an unexpected apricot and tomato sauce gives new life to baked sausage burgers.
- 1 can (17 oz.) apricot halves
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 cups Kellogg's® Rice Krispies® cereal
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 pound ground lean beef
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1. Drain apricots, reserving syrup. Reserve eight apricot halves. Chop
remaining apricots. Set aside.
2. In large mixing bowl, beat egg until foamy. Stir in onion, chopped apricots and KELLOGG'S RICE KRISPIES cereal. Add ground meat, mixing only until combined. Shape into eight burgers and place in foil-lined baking pan. Place one reserved apricot half, out side up, on top of each burger, pressing in lightly.
3. Bake at 350° F about 30 minutes or until thoroughly done. Do not turn.
4. While burgers are baking, combine tomato sauce, corn syrup, Worcestershire sauce and 1/4 cup of the reserved apricot syrup in small saucepan. Simmer over low heat about 10 minutes. Serve over burgers.
Yield: 8 burgers