Spicy Squash Bake
When zucchini and summer squash seem to be overtaking your garden, make this cheesy casserole. Green chilies give it a kick.
- 3 cups thinly sliced zucchini
- 3 cups thinly sliced yellow summer squash
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 4 tablespoons margarine or butter, divided
- 1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Montery Jack cheese
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 3 cups Kellogg's® Rice Krispies® cereal
1. In 12-inch fry pan, over medium heat, sauté squash and onions in 2 tablespoons of the margarine, just until crisp-tender. Remove from heat. Carefully fold in chilies, flour, salt and pepper. Place in 12 x 7 1/2 x 2-inch (2-qt.) glass baking dish, coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with Monterey Jack cheese.
2. Combine cottage cheese, egg and parsley. Spread evenly over Monterey Jack cheese.
3. Bake at 400° F for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, melt remaining 2 tablespoons margarine and combine with KELLOGG'S RICE KRISPIES cereal and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle top with cereal mixture. Return to oven and bake 10 minutes longer or until cereal browns. Serve hot.