Spicy Squash Bake - Rice Krispies®
When zucchini and summer squash seem to be overtaking your garden, make this cheesy casserole. Green chilies give it a kick.
- 3 cups thinly sliced zucchini
- 3 cups thinly sliced yellow summer squash
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 4 tablespoons margarine or butter, divided
- 1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Montery Jack cheese
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 3 cups Kellogg's® Rice Krispies® cereal
1. In 12-inch fry pan, over medium heat, sauté squash and onions in 2 tablespoons of the margarine, just until crisp-tender. Remove from heat. Carefully fold in chilies, flour, salt and pepper. Place in 12 x 7 1/2 x 2-inch (2-qt.) glass baking dish, coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with Monterey Jack cheese.
2. Combine cottage cheese, egg and parsley. Spread evenly over Monterey Jack cheese.
3. Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, melt remaining 2 tablespoons margarine and combine with KELLOGG'S® RICE KRISPIES® cereal and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle top with cereal mixture. Return to oven and bake 10 minutes longer or until cereal browns. Serve hot.