Southwest Stuffed Peppers
This classic entrée gets zestier with the addition of chili powder and olives.
- 6 large green bell peppers
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 cups Kellogg's® Rice Krispies® cereal
- or 2 cups Kellogg's Corn Flakes® cereal
- 1/8 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 can (2.25 oz.) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) whole peeled tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded, sharp Cheddar cheese
1. Wash peppers. Cut off tops and remove seedy portions. Precook in large amount of boiling water about 5 minutes. Drain well. Place peppers, cut side up, in shallow baking pan coated with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In 12-inch fry pan, cook ground beef and onion until meat is browned, stirring frequently. Drain off drippings. Add remaining ingredients except cheese. Stir to combine, cutting tomatoes into pieces with spoon. Remove from heat. Spoon into peppers, dividing evenly.
3. Bake at 350° F about 25 minutes or until filling is thoroughly heated. Remove from oven. Sprinkle tops with cheese. Return to oven. Bake about 5 minutes longer or until cheese melts. Serve hot.
4. Wash peppers. Cut off tops and remove seedy portions. Lightly salt inside of each pepper. Place peppers, cut side up, in 12 x 7 1/2 x 2-inch (2qt.)glass baking dish. Set aside.
5. Place ground beef and onion in 8 x 8 x 2-inch (1 1/2qt.) glass baking dish. Stir to crumble. Microwave on HIGH 6 to 7 minutes or until beef is cooked, stirring occasionally. Drain off drippings. Add remaining ingredients except cheese. Stir to combine, cutting tomatoes into pieces with spoon. Spoon filling into peppers, dividing evenly. Cover stuffed pepper with plastic wrap. Poke several holes in plastic wrap to allow steam to escape.
6. Microwave on HIGH about 15 minutes or until filling is thoroughly heated and peppers are tender. Sprinkle tops with cheese. Microwave on HIGH until cheese melts.