Solar System Treats
What a delicious way to learn the solar system! The kids are sure to remember their planets when they are made out of Rice Krispies Treats. Various sizes of round cookie cutters are used to cut out the different planets. Planet details are added with frosting, sprinkles and colored sugars.
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 and 1/14 package (10oz., about 60) JET-PUFFED Marshmallows
- 9 cups Kellogg's® Rice Krispies® cereal
- Canned frosting or decorating gel
- Colored Sugars
1. In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
2. Add KELLOGG'S RICE KRISPIES cereal. Stir until well coated.
3. Pat into a buttered rimmed baking sheet. Cool. Cut out the planets and the sun using round cookie cutters. For the Sun, use a 4½ inch round cookie cutter. For Jupiter and Saturn use a 3¼ inch round cookie cutter. For Saturn’s ring cut a strip ½ inch wide x 3 ½ inches long. For Uranus and Neptune use a 2¾ inch round cookie cutter. For Venus and Earth use a 2¼ inch round cookie cutter. For Mars, Mercury and Pluto use a 1½ inch round cookie cutter.
4. Using canned frosting or decorating gel, pipe and brush designs into the frosting. Use sprinkles and colored sugars for accents. If you like, mix a little blue and orange frosting together to make the muddier colors for Mercury and Pluto.
In a microwave-safe bowl heat butter and marshmallows on HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Follow remaining steps above. Microwave cooking times may vary.
-For best results, use fresh marshmallows.
-1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow crème can be substituted for marshmallows.
-Diet, reduced calorie or tub margarine is not recommended.
-Store no more than two days at room temperature in airtight container.
-To freeze, place in layers separated by wax paper in airtight container. Freeze for up to 6 weeks. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.