Solar System Treats - Rice Krispies®
What a delicious way to learn the solar system! The kids are sure to remember their planets when they are made out of Rice Krispies Treats®. Various sizes of round cookie cutters are used to cut out the different planets. Planet details are added with frosting, sprinkles and colored sugars.
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 and 1/14 package (10oz., about 60) JET-PUFFED Marshmallows
- 9 cups Kellogg's® Rice Krispies® cereal
- Canned frosting or decorating gel
- Colored Sugars
1. In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
2. Add KELLOGG'S® RICE KRISPIES® cereal. Stir until well coated.
3. Pat into a buttered rimmed baking sheet. Cool. Cut out the planets and the sun using round cookie cutters. For the Sun, use a 4½ inch round cookie cutter. For Jupiter and Saturn use a 3¼ inch round cookie cutter. For Saturn’s ring cut a strip ½ inch wide x 3 ½ inches long. For Uranus and Neptune use a 2¾ inch round cookie cutter. For Venus and Earth use a 2¼ inch round cookie cutter. For Mars, Mercury and Pluto use a 1½ inch round cookie cutter.
4. Using canned frosting or decorating gel, pipe and brush designs into the frosting. Use sprinkles and colored sugars for accents. If you like, mix a little blue and orange frosting together to make the muddier colors for Mercury and Pluto.
In a microwave-safe bowl heat butter and marshmallows on HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Follow remaining steps above. Microwave cooking times may vary.
-For best results, use fresh marshmallows.
-1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow crème can be substituted for marshmallows.
-Diet, reduced calorie or tub margarine is not recommended.
-Store no more than two days at room temperature in airtight container.
-To freeze, place in layers separated by wax paper in airtight container. Freeze for up to 6 weeks. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.