Pineapple Surprise Bread - Rice Krispies®
A chocolate layer makes a delightful surprise in the middle of this pineapple quick bread.
- 2 cups Kellogg's® Rice Krispies® cereal
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped, whole almonds
- 2 egg whites
- 1 can (8 oz.) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon coconut flavoring
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1. In large mixing bowl, combine KELLOGG'S® RICE KRISPIES® cereal, flour, the 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, soda, salt and almonds. Set aside.
2. In medium mixing bowl, beat together egg whites, pineapple, milk, margarine and coconut flavoring. Add to cereal mixture, stirring only until combined. Remove 1/2 cup batter. Stir the 1 tablespoon sugar and cocoa into the 1/2 cup batter. Set aside. Spread 1/2 of remaining plain batter evenly in bottom of 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Spoon chocolate batter over plain batter. Spoon remaining plain batter over chocolate and spread to cover chocolate batter.
3. Bake at 350°F about 55 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap to store.
Yield: 1 loaf, 16 slices