Picnic Blanket Treats™
Everyone loves a picnic. Frost up these checkered blankies for a picnic-perfect dessert your kids will love.
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 package (10 oz., about 40) JET-PUFFED Marshmallows
- 5-1/2 cups JET-PUFFED Miniature Marshmallows
- 6 cups Kellogg's® Rice Krispies® cereal
- 6 cups Kellogg's® Cocoa Krispies® cereal
- Canned frosting or decorating gel
- Food coloring
- Doll straw hat (optional)
- Paper umbrella (optional)
1. In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
2. Add KELLOGG'S RICE KRISPIES cereal. Stir until well coated.
3. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cereal mixture for picnic basket. Using buttered spatula or wax paper, evenly press the remaining cereal mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cool.
4. Meanwhile, use buttered hands to shape reserved cereal mixture into picnic basket. Set aside.
5. Spread top of cereal rectangle with white frosting. Use tinted frosting to pipe red checks over white frosting. Place picnic basket on top. Decorate with straw hat and umbrella, if desired. Cut into 2-inch squares. Best if served the same day.
In microwave-safe bowl heat butter and marshmallows on HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Follow steps 2 through 5 above. Microwave cooking times may vary.
For best results, use fresh marshmallows.
1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow crème can be substituted for marshmallows.
Diet, reduced calorie or tub margarine is not recommended.
Store no more than two days at room temperature in airtight container.