Young chefs love helping to shape these cheese-filled meatballs.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 cups Kellogg's® Rice Krispies® cereal
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 sticks (1 oz. each) mozzarella string cheese, cut into 12 bite-sized pieces
- 12 small dinner rolls, split horizontally and toasted
- Ketchup, mustard, lettuce, tomato slices, pickles and/or relish
1. Line 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pan with foil. Pour oil into pan. Tilt pan to coat bottom with oil. Set aside.
2. In large bowl combine egg, KELLOGG'S RICE KRISPIES cereal, salt, pepper and onion powder. Add ground beef; mix well. Divide into 12 equal portions. Shape into large meatballs.
3. Place meatballs on prepared pan. Push one cheese piece into center of each meatball, reshaping meatball to completely enclose cheese. Roll meatball to cover all sides with oil.
4. With adult help, bake at 350º F for 15 to 20 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Serve meatballs in rolls. Top with ketchup (if desired).
Kid-friendly Kitchen Tips:
Children of all ages should have an adult assistant with them at all times when cooking.
1. All the kids will love to get their hands into the meatball mix, but over-mixing ground meat means tough meatballs. Give each chef a portion of the mix (after you have initially mixed it) and then let them form their very own mini meatballs.
2. Older kids will be able to help insert the cheese and reshape the meatballs.