Iced Apple Squares
Nothing says summer quite like an apple-licious dessert like this one with layers of iced apple-cinnamon pastry atop a crispy crust.
Prep Time: 40 min
Total Time: 115 min
- 2 cups Kellogg's® Rice Krispies® cereal
- or 2 cups Kellogg's Corn Flakes® cereal
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup margarine or butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 5 cups sliced, peeled tart apples (about 1 1/2 lbs.)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons warm water
1. In medium mixing bowl, stir together crushed KELLOGG'S RICE KRISPIES cereal, the 1 1/3 cups flour and salt. Cut in margarine until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add milk, stirring until entire mixture is moistened. Pat half the dough in bottom and about half way up the sides of greased 9 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan. Set aside.
2. Stir together the 2 tablespoons flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar.
Mix with sliced apples. Spoon into crust. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Set
3. Roll out remaining dough on lightly floured surface to fit pan. Place
over apples. Prick crust with fork 3 or 4 times.
4. Bake at 375° F about 45 minutes or until apples are tender and crust is golden brown. Combine powdered sugar and warm water, stirring until smooth. Drizzle glaze over apple squares while still warm. Cut into squares and serve warm or cooled.