Creamy Mac and Cheese with Parmesan Crunch Topping
Whole wheat pasta adds extra fiber to kid-pleasing macaroni and cheese.
- 8 ounces whole wheat rotini pasta (about 4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk, divided
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, cut up
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup (3 oz.) shredded American cheese
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onion (optional)
- 1 cup Kellogg's® Rice Krispies® cereal
- 1/3 cup finely shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
- Sliced green onions (optional)
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain. Keep warm.
2. Meanwhile, in medium saucepan stir together flour, salt, pepper and mustard. Whisk in 2 tablespoons of the milk, forming smooth paste. Gradually whisk in remaining milk. Add cream cheese. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and boiling. Remove from heat. Gradually stir in Cheddar cheese and American cheese, a little at a time, until melted. Fold in pasta and 2 tablespoons onion (if desired).
3. Spread in 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle with KELLOGG'S RICE KRISPIES Cereal and Parmesan cheese. Broil 4-to-5 inches from the heat about 3 minutes or until crisp and heated through. Serve topped with additional onions (if desired).
*Note: For a different flavor, try stirring in one of the following: 1 cup cooked and well-drained, chopped broccoli; 1 cup chopped, fully-cooked ham; 1 cup thinly sliced, fully-cooked, smoked turkey sausage; 1 cup cooked and well-drained peas; or 1 cup cooked and well-drained, chopped cauliflower into the cheese mixture along with the cooked pasta and onion.