Chocolate Banana Nut Bread
For gift-giving, bake this quick bread in a disposable aluminum foil pan. When cool, wrap in colored plastic wrap and tie with a ribbon.
- 2 cups Kellogg's® Cocoa Krispies® cereal
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 2 medium)
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In large mixing bowl, combine KELLOGG'S® COCOA KRISPIES® cereal, flour, the 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and walnuts. Set aside.
3. In mixing bowl, beat together egg whites, bananas, milk, margarine and vanilla flavoring. Add to cereal mixture, stirring only until combined. Remove 1/2 cup batter. Stir the 1 tablespoon sugar and cocoa powder into the 1/2 cup batter. Set aside.
4. Spread 1/2 of remaining plain batter evenly in bottom of 9 1/4 x 5 1/4 x 2 3/4-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Spoon chocolate batter over plain batter and spread to within 1/2 inch of pan sides. Spoon remaining 1/2 of plain batter over chocolate batter and spread to cover chocolate batter.
5. Bake 55 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack before slicing.
Yield: 1 loaf